The idea of going through the 600+ pictures I took on our trip to Europe intimidated me. So I'm starting starting from the most recent, and easier to handle, event and going backwards.
The other day, Shapell's, the school where Scott learns, got a new Sefer Torah (aka Torah scroll). It's a special event, and one that I never thought about until it happened. Basically the Torah (first five books of the Bible) is over 300,000 letters. And they're all neatly handwritten in order to produce a kosher scroll. They cost around $40,000. (Blogging is great.. I look up all sorts of things that I didn't know before in order to share them.)
In this case, the scroll was donated by the family of a Shapell's alum. They finished writing the scroll at the former student's house and danced it to Shapell's (for normal people a 5 minute walk; for a large group of people celebrating with a Torah, a 20 minute walk). There was fire, a chuppah, and music. Not to mention a fancing dinner after. It was quite the experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment